Celebrating a Milestone in Avila

Avila
Autumn 2011

"The Birthday Girl" in Avila
(Nov-2011)

Journal Entry... I woke up to the number "40" flashing in my mind that day, for I was celebrating a milestone to my life.

"Walls of Avila"
8-nov: Day trip to Avila... On every 8th of November, as far as I'd remember, I'd go to Church, light a candle, say my prayers, and make a birthday wish. That morning, the heavens had blessed me with a perfect day-- clear skies and bright sunshine. I had been rained on the past day trips to Toledo and Siguenza... But, that morning, sun continued to shine brightly as hubby and I got off the Avila train station, two hours later from Madrid, for a day trip.
Up Avila walls
I suggested a leisurely stroll to the old city from Avila train station, than taxi ride. Because it was my birthday, hubby, who is not keen to long walks, could not put up a protest. Walking to the old city from Availa train station took us about 30-45 minutes... I had a day's worth of time, so there was no need to rush the day; the old city is small in area anyway. I am to savor every second of a milestone to my life... Hubby and I reached the Walls of Avila, which was built from the ground up with stones that fortified the old city. It is for these very distinctive walls that Avila had become known as the "City of Stones".
A roadside view of the famed stone walls fortifying the old city of Avila
Church visit
to Catedral de Avila
Avila is also called the "City of Saints", because of its many patron saints, like Teresa of Avila. First on the agenda is a church visit to the Catedral del Salvador de Avila (main church), where the statue of Teresa of Avila is, for a birthday prayer. I felt hunger after the church visit, for missing breakfast that morning to catch the train schedule to Avila. Found a traditional cafe in one of the streets down from the church. There I ordered what was available for breakfast-- tapas and coffee. 
Two Peas in Avila
Cafe owner was smiling at my unusually big appetite that morning, as I ordered for additional open-style bread with toppings paired with coffee. One delivery guy tried to strike a conversation with me, in Spanish, and I nodded my head pretending to understand him; poor guy, however, had to retreat when the hubby re-entered the cafe, lol. Nearly reaching a caffeine overload, I stopped. Climbing the walls of Avila was the second agenda, and caffeine high does not mix well with acrophobia.
New city outside the fortified walls, in Avila
"Chuleton meal"
in Avila
One's birthday celebration would not be complete without a celebratory feast. Avila serves a traditional chuleton (T-bone steak), and hubby and I each had a slab of it. For dessert, I got the Santa Teresa's yemas sold in Avila's Plaza Mayor. By the time, hubby and I were so full we knew we could not walk back to Avila train station with great speed to make it in time for that train ticket schedule back to Madrid. Tip: Train tickets can only be re-scheduled in advance, and not for missed trains.
Avila's Plaza Mayor
Good thing, a taxi was timely driving by, and from across the street, hubby hailed it for a taxi ride; driver made a U-turn to come and get us and take us quickly to Avila train station... 
As I'd think back to my 40th birthday milestone, Avila will always come to mind where I got to celebrate it. Writing about it already brings a smile to my face :)
A celebratory jump of the Birthday Girl right up the old walls in Avila

9-nov: Arrived Seville... Link to>>> Journal Entry: In the Heart and Soul of Spain #spain #seville #autumn2011

oOo
PHOTOSTITCH

#Spain #Avila #autumn2011