Elephant, No Ride Elephant

Thailand : Bangkok
Autumn 2005

A baby elephant joins in for a photo at the Samphran Ground & Zoo
(nov-2005)

Journal Entry... A second, but probably the last, out of the country office trip.

Bangkok, 2005
26-nov: Arrival in Bangkok... via Thai Airlines. Check-in: Siam City Hotel. A river cruise was that first night's itinerary, complete with a course dinner on-board. Boat cruised down the river. Temples on the left bank, buildings and skyscrapers on the right bank. The temples lit at night had a cinematic feel to it. I polished off the sweet desert by the time the boat returned to the dock.

27-nov: Sightseeing in Bangkok... First stop: the temples. There was a Golden Buddha at the Temple of Wat Traimit, and then a Reclining Buddha at the Temple of Wat Po. Both were gold if I'm not mistaken. (Or gold-plated?) One has to be ingenious in photographing a massive reclining Buddha occupying the temple from end-to-end. Tip: Stand in the corner. One enters the temple barefoot. I worried losing my footwear the entire time I was inside the temple. (Footwear had sentimental value to me; it's the leather boots I was wearing when I sat at Beijing's Great Wall.) There was no shoe locker at the temple. It was an open pigeon box for everybody's footwear to fit. I hurried about the temple run, and checked on my footwear's whereabouts.

Next stop: the zoo. Lunch was served in buffet-style at the Samphran Ground & Zoo. Thai dishes, especially the ones bathing in a spicy curry sauce, are best paired with rice. Nom, nom, nom... Thai food!

Zoo elephants in their colorful garb welcome the visitors

Zoo elephants showing off their acquired skills

At the zoo entrance were two ferocious-looking jungle tigers, held up in chains by the neck. Better to be safely chained, since the tigers were not shy to eye-ball the onlookers. One can take a photo souvenir with the tigers, but I was too scared to get near those felines. The zoo also had a feature show of elephants performing tricks. And after the show, participants could ride the elephants being led by the trainers to tromp around the open field. Hubby begged off from burdening the poor elephant. (Earlier shopping for T-shirt at the MBK department store, the saleslady had teased the hubby with his choice of elephant design, "Elephant, no wear elephant!") In the zoo elephant's case, "Elephant, no ride the elephant!"

28-nov: What a busy marketplace... Last day's itinerary was experiencing Chatuchak market. Souvenir hunting ground. The labyrinth of stalls, plus Bangkok's hot and humid weather, like Manila, gave me the headache. There were trinkets, after trinkets, after trinkets of dust-gathering stuff. My office mate who trailed behind me had gone the opposite direction, not wanting to hear any more of my day's complaints. Whatever. Shopping is just not my thing.

29-nov: Homebound, Manila... Until the next travel, xo. ungkler

oOo

Elephant ride

Baby elephant up for a photo-op

The group at Siam Hotel