In Search of Gaudi's Works

Barcelona
Autumn 2011

Bright morning in autumn at Plaza Catalunya in Barcelona
(Oct-2011)

Journal Entry... I had an agreement with the hubby, that I could choose a country where to celebrate my big "40th Birthday". Three years ago, hubby and I were in Paris (France) to celebrate his own milestone... For my turn, I chose Spain. Spain's tourism catch phrase said, "I Need Spain"... and perhaps I did. No less than my birth name could trace roots to Spain, such as the pedestrian plaza in Barcelona. After some planning, I rounded up our key destination cities, running from north to south of Spain, to 10 cities... in 16 days. Thanks to Spain's AVE train system for making it possible.


Two Peas in Barcelona
28-oct: Arrived Barcelona... via #SingaporeAirlines. Hubby, who was hesitant about Spain as travel destination, was greatly enjoying his conversations with the locals, extracting out whatever is left in stock memory from his mandatory Spanish language classes which was part of the college curriculum. I was giggling on the side, finding hubby's manner of speaking in broken-Spanish amusing to the ear, myself not knowing any Spanish words other than basic greeting, because the Spanish language classes had been rendered optional in my time.
"Casa Mila"
at Passeig de Gracia
Hubby and I arrived early morning, while hotel check-in at #HotelSixtyTwo, in Passeig de Gracia, was not up till 2PM; so, we left the luggage with Concierge and went out strolling in Barcelona's main avenue to pass the time. With substantial presence in the city, I have observed that the works of Antonio Gaudi seemed to be the city's defining landmarks. A stone's throw from the hotel were already two of Gaudi's works. A queer chimney peeked out from the rooftop of La Pedrera (or Casa Mila). Early that morning, the sidewalk fronting Casa Mila was (still) empty of tourists lining up, it was tempting to already walk in. Across the street was Gaudi's other work, the Manzana de la Discordia (or Casa Battlo), also called "Apple of Discord", whatever it meant to Señor Gaudi.
"Casa Battlo"
at Passeig de Gracia
Looking up to CasaBattlo's facade from the sidewalk, its window design in the shape of the apple had (just) reminded me of my "Red Apple" coin bank toy I played with as a child, where a "mechanical worm" crawled out to eat up every coin I'd place on the push button. Casa Batllo's leaflet said, "Gaudi intended Casa Batllo's mosaic facade and ceramic roof to recreate the Mediterranean sea." Because Gaudi's works are city landmarks, thus they are the most visited attraction in Barcelona;  expect a long queue to start midday, and prepare to pay a price, all for tourism's sake.
Hotel balcony with a view of Gaudi's Casa Battlo in Passeig de Gracia
"La Sagrada Familia"
in background
Gaudi's two other works are La Sagrada Familia, a cathedral that remained unfinished to date, and Park Guell in the namesake of Gaudi's patron, Count Guell, who had commissioned it. A fifth of Gaudi's work is the Casa Calvet in the namesake of another patron and full of symbolic elements representing the patron's occupation and identity as a textile manufacturer.
Park Guell rooftop
Of all his works, it is said that Señor Gaudi had become obsessed with La Sagrada Familia, which he was not able to finish after he got hit by a street car that claimed his life, unfortunately; since 1883, when Gaudi embarked on the project, and long after Gaudi's lifetime, works on the cathedral continue... Up to the time when we got there, the cathedral (still) had working cranes for the finishing touches to Gaudi's Sagrada Familia.
Work in progress to complete Gaudi's Sagrada Familia
Fountain show
at Montjuic
Well, Barcelona is not only about admiring, or understanding the complex genius of Gaudi's mind. A hop on, hop off Bus Turistic Barcelona's official sightseeing bus, toured us briefly around the city passing by the city's other attractions; hubby and I returned to it later, on foot. In Montjuic, the park on the Olympic mountain, hubby and I watched the colorful lights show in water fountains, feeling the shower mist in the air making the cool autumn weather, colder. In Ramblas, I shook my head at any invitation for me to bet money on card tricks; it was also in Ramblas where I would get jolted back to reality of having to hold tighter to my belongings, after a lady came rushing out of Starbucks searching for the thief who had whisked her bag away from where she sat inside the coffee shop.
"Jose Rizal marker"
in Ramblas
Still walking in Ramblas area, hubby and I went to check on Hotel Espanya located in a dimly lit alley. Did you know? Hotel has a marker of Jose Rizal (Philippine National Hero); it is said that Jose Rizal had stayed in Hotel Espanya, while doing further studies in Spain in the late 1800s. Speaking of Hotel Espanya, it is where the hubby and I were supposed to stay at first-- I have been tasked to do the hotel reservation, which I did online, clicking on "Reservation", but then clicking on "Cancellation" immediately after reading a bad review concerning the hotel's location in that Ramblas area, and worrying the hotel had forfeited the reservation fee. (Hotel didn't forfeit the reservation fee, as confirmed via email, to my relief! Thanks, Hotel Espanya!)
Tapas night
at Txapela
Barcelona's main avenue is lined with high-end shops, where I went as far as to literally window shop only, lol; El Corte Ingles beside Plaza Catalunya for its grocery items; and real shopping at Zara and Mango, the Spanish brand shops scattered all over the city. Capping the first two nights in Spain, at Barcelona, hubby and I went for a sampling of the Spanish-style of tapas, paired with a drink, or more, of sangria at #Txapela, near the hotel. Here's to that fun introduction to Spain... 
Ole! Barcelona!
Barcelona cityscape as seen from Park Guell 

30-oct: Day trip to Montserrat... Link to>>> Journal Entry: In the Presence of Our Lady #spain #montserrat #autumn2011

31-oct: Arrived Madrid... Link to>>> Journal Entry: Viva! Madrid #spain #madrid #autumn2011

12-nov: Return to Barcelona... Five hours on the #Renfe high speed rail, from Seville, hubby and I were back to where we started, completing our 10-itinerary cities... Barcelona, Montserrat, Madrid, Cordoba, Toledo, Siguenza, Segovia, Avila, Seville and Granada, in Spain. To cap the last day, we went up to Park Guell to watch the sunset down the Barcelona cityscape.

oOo
PHOTOSTITCH


#Spain #Barcelona #autumn2011
Check-in: Hotel Sixty Two
On the Bus Turistic
In Montjuic