Back in the City of Pines

Baguio
Summer 2012

What's left of the pine trees at John Hay in Baguio
(Jul-2012)

Journal Entry... I asked myself when was the last time I went to Baguio-- the summer capital of the Philippines dubbed as the "City of Pines". It has been sixteen long years ago... In 1996, I would make a monthly pilgrimage to the Our Lady of Manoaog, as I awaited the results of the Bar Exams I took that year. One time, I made a side trip up Baguio. Travel time to Baguio was a little over an hour away, from that La Union junction. I did miss Camp John Hay's spaghetti bolognese already.

Horses roam freely
in John Hay
Flashback to grade school days... When every summer vacation, my father would bring the entire family along to Baguio, as he attended the yearly SOPI (Safety Organization of the Philippines) Convention. On that particular year, the Convention's venue was at then Hyatt Hotel, where the family would also be billeted. (Sadly, the hotel is now in rubbles... after the 1990 killer earthquake.)
A snowflake in June
During those old Baguio days, air breeze was cold... pine scent permeated the air... the horses at Wright Park were muscular... Session Road had quaint shop houses... the boat rides at the Burnham pond seemed to be a fun ride... the green roof of the President's Mansion was always freshly painted amidst a manicured lawn and dancing water in the fountains across the street fronting the mansion... Mine's View park was a reserve park...
Luxurious mountain view seen from hotel room balcony
Communing with pine trees in the heart of Baguio at John Hay
Balcony with a view
19-jun: Road trip to Baguio... I find myself traveling up to Baguio, again in 2014, after the last recent visit. Hubby had Court-related matters to attend to and had brought me along for company. Check-in: #LeMonetHotel, in that Camp John Hay enclave. 
City had gotten busier from last time. Cars went bumper-to-bumper nearing the round-a-bout... city center had been urbanized by a concrete flyover and pedestrian walkway... a commercial mall now occupies the former Pines Hotel's location... the mountainside view had more residential houses than pine trees. 
Foggy June
in Baguio
Hubby and I made our way to Camp John Hay, the only remaining area from where those memories of old Baguio days come rushing back... the cool air, pine scent, horses neighing in the woods... just as I remember it from way back when. Hubby would bring me along to Baguio a couple more times, and I told him to book a hotel within the Camp John Hay area, because in that zoned area of Camp John Hay is where the heart of Baguio truly lies, as the City of Pines, or whatever is left of it.