Touchdown, Frankfurt!

Frankfurt
Winter 2013

Sunday at the Romerberg in Frankfurt
(Jan-2013)

Journal Entry... Traveling to Germany on a first visit has got to be about the Romantic Road... if I wanted it to be a happy trip anyway. 

26-jan: Arrived Frankfurt... 
Two Peas in Frankfurt
via #SingaporeAirlines. Frankfurt is not part of the Romantic Road, yet, hubby and I had to start someplace. Immigration Officer at the counter asked me my purpose for traveling to Germany. I replied, "Tourism!" recalling the box I put a check on in my VISA application; it sounded like I was in a beauty contest, so I clarified a bit hesitantly, "...for vacation." Immigration Officer looked up from my Passport, and quizzically asked, "Is it tourism, or vacation? Tourism and vacation are not the same, yes?" I turned to the hubby for backup not wanting to be denied entry, who took it from there. I nodded my head agreeing to whatever the hubby was saying to keep the story short... but nothing short of merely getting myself lost in translation with the Immigration Officer back at the counter. 
Arriving late night and staying in Frankfurt overnight, hubby and I weighed on choosing between a city hotel and airport hotel. Check-in: #HiltonFrankfurt, beside the airport. That way, we got to turn ourselves in for immediate slumber, and after fifteen transit hours, from Manila. Hotel was a short distance past the Immigration counter, and the covered walkway connected to the airport. Late check-in was a breeze; there was no line... no fuss, happy us!
The Romer (city hall) in Frankfurt's old city center
Next morning, we figured our way down to the S-Bahn to  get to Romerberg - Frankfurt's old city center; must-see on a brief stop. Romerberg's well-preserved Bavarian architecture was our introduction to Germany; right in the square was Lady Justice in blindfold, holding a set of scales. It was snowing and it did not bother me... until I realized there was going to be more of those snow to fall in the Bavaria region, where the Romantic Road is.
Two Peas in Romerberg
I must have had a brain freeze from the snow, I totally missed the significance of that building with a black-red-gold (German) flag. I'm sure to have seen it online before the trip. Good thing the Japanese lady tourist to whom I had a photo ex-deal with  told us to stand before that building, which turned out to be the main landmark in that strip-- the Romer (Old City Hall), with a visual hint that we were on Germany's soil. I would bump into the Japanese lady tourist, again, on the Romantic Road.

27-jan: Romantic Road to Rothenburg odT... Link to >>> Journal Entry: Romantic Road to Rothenburg #germany #rothenburgodT #winter2013