Tell Me the Story of Prague

Prague
Winter 2013

On Charles Bridge in Eastern Europe at Prague
(Feb-2011)

Journal Entry... I purposely did not get hold of a travel guide to Prague. I wanted Prague to surprise me. It felt like having a Christmas gift in a box, promising not to open it till Christmas day. And you... just wait... for... that... moment.

5-feb: Arrived Prague... The long wait for the train to reach Prague, while holding on to the intriguing Koruna - Czech Republic's currency, added suspense to my journey.
Apartment with a view
Check-in: #ULuzickehoSeminare apartment, in Mala Strana. Apartment windows opened to Karluv Most (Charles Bridge) and the Golden City of Spires flanking both sides of the bridge. Prague did not disappoint me, in exchange for a promise kept. Prague was unforgettable... Lovely and endearing by day, that turns a mystical leaf at sundown.
Prague, 5AM
I was wide awake, before the crack of dawn from excitement. The moon was still up in the sky, that had this hypnotic shade I can't quite describe. Most crossed Charles Bridge was deserted-- early morning is the best time to be in the bridge for photo-op. Religious statues that lined the bridge, as well as  Gothic spires on a skyline, would make any resulting photography award-winning.
Crossing Charles Bridge to Stare Mesto in the old town of Prague
Statue of St. John of Nepomuk
on Charles Bridge
Prague had the brightest sunshine in the morning. Were it not for the cold nippy air, I would not think it was winter in Prague on my visit. Not that I was looking for snow... Hubby and I crossed Charles Bridge to Staro Mesto (Old town). Crossing the short bridge took forever, the Charles Bridge view had held me captive for photo-op. One of the statues at the bridge St. John of Nepomuk had a legend attached to it. It is said that touching St. John's statue ensures one a return to Prague.
Postcard old town square at Staromestke Namesti
Night at the old town square in Prague
Clock Tower
in Prague
Without a tour guide or map, and relying purely on instinct... weaving through cobblestone streets... missing a turn here and there... hubby and I found the postcard image to the old town square - Staromestke Namesti. At every hourly strike, groups gathered in front of the Prazsky Orloj (Clock Tower) to watch the clock show: Two small windows on the clock's face opens up, with the Twelve Disciples rotating around it, like a cuckoo clock.
Klobasa food trip
Scent from staroprazska sunka (grilled pork ham) and klobasa (sausage) wafted in the air. It was pricey given the kiosk's touristy location in the old town square. Hubby got the Klobasa, while I bought 100g-pork ham, which resembled to the bacon in taste. Walked to the other square - Wenceslas Square named after St. Wenceslas, the patron saint of Bohemia; the Saint spoken about in the song, Christmas Carol.
Around noon, hubby and I got jolted by siren sounds. In Venice, those siren sounds signalled a flooding in St. Mark's Square (yes, acqua alta!) and cue to step on elevated walkways. In Prague, meanwhile, I learned that the siren sounds are heard every 1st Wednesday of the month; it is an alarm drill the city conducts, which sound the locals would (just) have to contend with. As for visitors, like me, it was a siren sound not to be concerned about, while in Prague.
Our Lady Victorious -
Church in Prague
From the old town, hubby and I returned to Charles Bridge to cross to Mala Strana (New town). Mala Strana is on the foothills of Prague Castle. It is also in Mala Strana where I made a pilgrimage to the Church of Our Lady Victorious, where the statuette of the Graceful Infant Jesus of Prague is.
Two Peas in Prague
Just when I thought I've had all of Prague walking its streets in daylight, I'd discover there was more to Prague walking the streets at nighttime. In the evening was when Prague's Gothic spires become like magic wands ready to cast a Bohemian spell on anyone. Night in Prague was entrancing as if sleepwalking in a dream. Remember what Tinker Bell whispered to Peter Pan, "You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming?"  That's exactly how I felt walking the streets of the old town of Prague at night...


7-feb: Touring Prague Castle...
Snow flurries
up Prague Castle
Last day in Prague, hubby and I rode the bus on a scenic route uphill to Prague Castle. Reserve the downhill route for a leisurely stroll, after the castle visit. Snow flurries greeted us on arriving in the castle; it was not enough to build me a snowman though. Like a blur the snow flurries came, and it went back to clear skies and sunshine.
St. Wenceslas Chapel
Up Prague Castle, one can admire the panoramic vista of the "Golden City of Spires" that is Prague. Distract the Czech guards putting up a poker face during sentry duties by the castle entrance... Locate the Golden Gate inside St. Vitus Cathedral, and St. Wenceslas Chapel of Christmas Carol... See the Golden Lane museum, where alchemists had supposedly made gold from cramped dwellings, that included a torture room (for those who stole gold perhaps)...
Red rooftops fill out Prague's cityscape
"Swan Princess"
on Vltava river
Did I mention about the swans in Vltava river? There's some kind of a Swan Lake over at Prague's river, where a bevy of swans are. I made a promise to the swans (when I first went to the river...) I'd be back with bread. Because every commercial bread I bought in Prague, that looked appetizing to the eyes, would crumble like sawdust in the mouth-- perhaps the Czech bakers had only the swans in mind when making bread --all my leftover bread ended up on the river. The swans were quite happy to get a shower of leftover bread, in exchange for a photo-op; I was the "Swan Princess" for the day.
 A Prague scene - at sunset
Here's my story on Prague.

6-feb: Crossing the border, to Salzburg... Link to>>> Journal Entry: The Hills Are Alive in Musical Salzburg #austria #salzburg #winter2013

oOo
PHOTOSTITCH

#CzechRepublic #Prague #winter2013
Crossing Charles Bridge from new town to old town...
In the old town square...
Night stroll in old town Prague...
Sentry duties at Prague Castle...
This way to Prague Castle exit...
Two Peas in Prague Castle...