A DisneySea-like Adventure in Hakone

Japan : Tokyo, Fujikawaguchiko, Hakone
Spring 2024

Sailing across Lake Ashi aboard the Victory Royal II - Queen Ashinoko "Pirate Ship"
(apr-2024) 

Journal Entry... My 10th time traveling to the country of Japan. Have I not have enough of it? Perhaps. On this trip, hubby needed me to tag along as a plus one to his office junket. I tell the hubby our second issuance of 5-year Japan visa will be expiring in November 2024. He replies nonchalantly, "Let's renew it after the trip." Oh well.

6-apr: Arrival in Tokyo... 7:38am, Gate 107, Terminal 3, ANA Airlines Flight NH820, 9:10am departure time. I was in lackluster mood for doing last-minute packing as always, and in turn, for not having slept a wink overnight. Morning sun seeped through the glass wall in a poorly air-conditioned boarding area of the airport in Manila. I can't wait to board to my seat within the cooler confines of the plane. A direct flight landing in Narita airport, from Manila, is a short flight of 4-5 hours. I did not care if I was in economy section. ANA Airlines in-flight service to economy section is more than satisfactory from experience, and a deal much better than the flag carrier. (I try to smirk at myself for getting spoiled to business class seats from our last two back-to-back trips to Japan (in December 2023 & in February 2024) via Cathay Pacific. "You don't get to ride business class all the time, darling," I muse to myself. On Cathay Pacific flight, however, the flight route took longer, and flight schedule were unholy hours, because of the Hong Kong layover. Also, the business class lounge in Hong Kong closes its doors at 12 midnight, thus creating a homeless scenario for business class passengers in a huge airport terminal that are lacking in comfy recliners. Returning to Manila during unholy hours on that first Cathay Pacific flight had pushed us to pay for land side hotel (Regal Hotel), in Hong Kong, to keep our sanity through the wee hours till the 8am outbound flight the next day. Note to self: short flight in economy; long flight in business.)

Narita Express train to Tokyo Station. Black (London-style) taxi to hotel. Check-in: The Royal Park Canvass, Rm. 1305, in the Ginza area. A new location for us to our usual Shinjuku base (Century Southern Hotel) when in Tokyo. Complimentary items to hotel guests were free-to-take at the reception area. I make a mental note to secure a sufficient stack of those 'UCC drip coffee' and 'tea selection' alongside the necessary toiletries, for my collection. Fingers crossed, the hotel staff will not ban me for it. As if that was not enough, I signed up the hubby to my plan of action. Lol

Fujikawaguchiko, 2024
7-apr: Road trip to Fujikawaguchiko... Meet-up place was at the boss's hotel many blocks away from ours, but still in the Ginza area. Walked the mile on foot. Rental coaster arrived shortly, 9:06 am. 

First stop: Oishi Park, in Fujikawaguchiko. There was a lake before it, a food hall, and a supposed "superb view of lake Kawaguchiko and Mt. Fuji at once." But clouds hovered over the active volcano to no avail. There was a call for a group photo by the rocky shores of the lake, the dry sand next to the lake seemingly breathing from under our feet, because it had turned soft from water composition. The ground where we stood was moving up and down from feet movement scurrying about the area for that best photo spot.

Second stop: Fuji-Q, a requested theme park itinerary by the younger ones in the group; one had a fascination for 'Naruto' which did not ring a bell for me. To be honest, I was not exactly keen about theme parks it being past my generational interest. Moreso the theme park had various rides not for the fainthearted. Hubby and I went straight for a Mos Burger meal way past lunch time and to pass away the time till the next stop.

Rocky shores of lake Kawaguchiko overlooking a no-show Mount Fuji in clouds at the Oishi Park

(to be continued)