The Hills Are Alive in Musical Salzburg

Salzburg
Winter 2013

Hear the sound of music in Mozart's town of Salzburg
(Feb-2011)

Journal Entry... About time the OBB rail clamped on that Czech train at the border, to pull the train past Czech territory into Austria. I was giddy to be back in winter wonderland! Hubby and I made it up to Vienna, from Venice backdoor... Link to>>> Journal Entry: Waltzing Through Vienna #austria #vienna #winter2011

8-feb: Arrived Salzburg... I could not wait to have my hands on a sweet dessert... Check-in: #WolfDietrichApartement, in Linzergasse a bridge away to the old town of Salzburg.
A winter scene on the Bridge of Love over Salzach river, in Salzburg
Winter wonderland
in Salzburg
Only I felt a slight fever coming my way. Blame it on the fluctuating temperature between warm indoors and cold outdoors, and fatigue from the journey. It was not the kind of condition I wanted to be in, and I prayed it was only a hiccup for the day. 
Snow-filled
Schloss Mirabell
I immediately downed the antibacterial medicine on standby in my First Aid Kit during travels, to arrest whatever was attacking my system and making me feel sick. That, and filling-up with a hearty Asian meal of soup, duck meat and rice combo hubby got for takeaway from the next door Japanese restaurant; hubby said the Japanese owner gave the rice for free. Carbohydrates was the energy booster, it got me back to form for the winter in Salzburg.
Schloss Mirabell was featured in the 1965 film, "Sound of Music" sans snow
Mozart statue
at the square
Old town of Salzburg was charming, both day and night. As snowflakes fell to the ground, so was the town decorated in white, like the cotton balls I've used to fake snow to a miniature Christmas village school project. A stone's throw from the apartment was Schloss Mirabell that got featured in the 1965 film, "Sound of Music". Snow-filled in winter, I hardly recognized it at all; the Schloss Mirabell was ablazed with flower blooms in that movie. Come winter time, the Schloss Mirabell might as well be called the "Slush Mirabell", than schloss.
Snow-filled courtyard
at Hohensalzburg fortress

Up the hill was Festung Hohensalzburg (fortress). Hubby and I took a funicular ride to the fortress... which had an impressive panorama of the old town and neighboring alps. In the fortress courtyard was more snow to play around with. Coming from the tropics, fresh snow is "a few of my favorite things...lalala la." Hubby and I joined the fortress tour... But I went on the tour with an empty stomach, because the dining hall at the fortress was full that lunch time.
...
Two Peas in Salzburg
Tour guide led the group to secret rooms, including a "lookout tower". The fortress tour burned up all of my energy stock from breakfast. Mid-tour, I was having double vision and adrenaline meltdown, whilst I could not find a crumble inside my bag to nibble on. The fortress tour must not be missed when in Salzburg, just make sure to eat up before joining the tour.  
Salzburg is also called the "Salt City"
Original Sachertorte
by Sacher
A Salzburg trip will not be complete without having a slice of the traditional Viennese cake, called the Sachertorte, best paired with coffee or tea. Hotel Sacher carries the original recipe-- an apricot jam and dark chocolate based sponge cake concocted for the Austrian Prince by a 16-year old kitchen apprentice and namesake, Franz Sacher. Foodie verdict: Cake was unexpectedly dry and sweet for my taste
Original Salzburger
Mozartkugeln by Furst
What I absolutely loved were the dark chocolate-dipped pistachio marzipan and nougat balls Paul Furst had named after Mozart, called the Salzburger MozartkugelnThe morning hubby and I were leaving Salzburg, for Munich, I ordered the hubby to walk back to the old town under the falling snow, to buy me a handful of mozartkugeln from Furst Confectionery. Because other friendly competition paled in comparison to Furst's original mozartkugeln. At Munich station, taxi driver wondered aloud why my luggage was heavy, and I told him, "Blame it on the mozartkugeln in my luggage!"

12-feb: Day trip to Berchtesgaden, at Germany's border... Link to>>> Journal Entry: Berchtesgaden at the Border #germany #berchtesgaden #winter2013

13-feb: Crossing the border, to Munich... Link to>>> Journal Entry: Sunny-Orange Stop in Munich #germany #munich #winter2013


oOo
PHOTOSTITCH

#Austria #Salzburg #winter2013
Check-in: Wolfdietrich apartment...
This way to Altstadt...
Up in the Hohensalzburg fortress...
A Lookout Tower in the fortress overlooks Salzburg...
A Bridge of Love crossing old and new towns of Salzburg
This shortcut passage...